If you’re like me at this time of year, you will no doubt be finding it hard not to give in to the endless chocolates that are being offered to you by your generous family, friends and colleagues. “Just one won’t hurt”, “It’s Christmas, why not?”, “I’ll be good tomorrow”… all excuses and rationalisations that can go on in your head to ‘allow’ yourself that indulgence. Maybe you’ve decided that you WILL allow yourself to have a few of the sugar-laden treats this year, but if you would like a get-out clause I’m here to help.
I would like to let you know that YOU CAN HAVE CHOCOLATE THIS YEAR!!! My little chocolate treats will taste equally as good as any shop-bought bar of chocolate, if not better. And to be able to say, “Would you like a piece of my home-made chocolate nut block?” will make it seem all that more indulgent when you offer it to your friends (if you want to share that is!). So here’s a my very simple solution to your Christmas chocolate dilemma – Easy Tasty Clean Chocolate Nut Block.
- 1 100g (4oz) bar of Green & Black’s Organic Dark 85% Chocolate
- 50g pistachios
- 50g macadamias
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl until there are no lumps left – this can be done by sitting the bowl over a pan of simmering water or by simply microwaving in 1 minute intervals until melted.
- Chop the nuts into small pieces using a large sharp knife, you can go as small as you like with the pieces. I usually cut each nut into at least 4 pieces but just make it random for best results.
- Add the nuts to the chocolate and stir until fully coated.
- Line a larger-bottomed bowl (around 8″) with a piece of cling film (plastic wrap) and pour the chocolate/nut mixture onto it. Spread out until the mixture is around 0.5 cm or 1/3″ thick.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour then break or cut into small pieces, ready to eat!
So there you have it, an incredibly simple way of not only having your chocolate this holiday season, but making it all the more healthy with the addition of some nuts. And here are some facts about these nuts that might just convince you to have a go at making the Chocolate Nut Block for yourself:
- Pistachios are an excellent source of vitamin B6, copper and manganese, also containing potassium, phophorus and magnesium. They are also a great antioxidant, protecting against ageing. In addition, a snack sized portion of pistachios contains the same amount of fibre as a bowl of oatmeal!
- Macadamias are a good source of B Vitamins, as well as containing smaller amounts of vitamin C. They also contain copper, magnesium, calcium, iron, phosphorus and zinc, making these nuts great for the nervous system and the immune system. Macadamias are higher in saturated fats than other nuts though, so don’t go overboard on these!
- Both of these nuts may help to lower the risk of heart disease, if consumed responsibly, in small quantities.
The holiday season doesn’t have to be a trauma in terms of having to abstain from everything in sight, you just have to be a little bit more creative and work out how you can fit tasty holiday-style foods into a clean eating lifestyle.
I will be putting this recipe onto a downloadable Recipe Sheet on the Easy Tasty Clean website soon, so feel free to download it here!